Strategic thinking is a process that defines the manner in which people think about, assess, view, and create the future for themselves and others. Strategic thinking is an extremely effective and valuable tool. Lack of strategic thinking by senior managers has been identified as a major shortcoming in organisations.
WHAT ARE THE CRITICAL SKILLS?
Strategic thinking involves developing an entire set of critical skills. Do you need talent that possess these skills?
- Strategic thinkers have the ability to use the left (logical) and right (creative) sides of their brain.
- They have the ability to develop a clearly defined and focused business vision and personal vision.
- They have the ability to clearly define their objectives and develop a strategic action plan with tasks, resources and timelines.
- They have the ability to design flexibility into their plans by recognizing the opportunity to revise their plans and anticipate change.
- They are amazingly aware and perceptive. They recognize subtle clues, they will listen, hear and understand what is said.
- They are committed lifelong learners and learn from each of their experiences, using their experiences to enable them to think better.
- The best strategic thinkers take time out for themselves. A quiet place where they can think.
- They are committed to and seek advice from others. They may use a coach, a mentor or peer advisory group.
- They have the ability to balance their creativity with a sense of realism and honesty about what is achievable in the longer term.
- They have the ability to be patient and to not rush to conclusions and judgments. Great ideas and thoughts require time to develop into great successes in the future to reach your defined vision.
Psychometric & Competency based assessments can be a great tool to ensure you are hiring Strategic Thinkers.